Announcing Creature Comforts’ First-Ever Impact Report
In celebration of B Corporation Month in March, we’re excited to announce the brewery’s first-ever impact report, highlighting our progress in our first full year as a Certified B Corporation. Underscoring our mission of being a force for good in the world, the comprehensive report showcases the impact made in its community in the areas of social initiatives, environmental sustainability, worker empowerment, diversity, equity and inclusion, and more.
“Becoming a Certified B Corporation has driven every aspect of our business. We’re constantly consulting the B Impact Assessment on decisions both big and small so that we can better serve our people, our communities, and our planet,” says Ally Hellenga, Creature Comforts’ Community Impact Manager. “With the publication of our company’s first-ever Impact Report, we are incredibly proud to take this moment to reflect on and celebrate the hard work already done by our team, while also re-committing to all the work still ahead.”
“A decade ago, we were beginning the restoration of a 1940s-era warehouse that would soon be home to Creature Comforts. Ten years later, our inaugural impact report marks an exciting moment for both reflection and celebration,” adds Chris Herron, CEO of Creature Comforts. “We started Creature Comforts because we believe in the power of beer as a force for good. And today, we’re introducing this report to highlight the progress we’ve made to date and while also setting ambitious goals for the future to help shape the world and our industry we wish to see.”
Notable highlights and key data points outlined in the report include:
- Achieved certified B Corporation status—one of only 6,347 companies (and 51 breweries) around the globe to achieve this rigorous certification
- Committed 100% of charitable giving and resources to raising the percentage of Athens 3rd graders reading on grade level from 20% to 60% over the next five years
- Crested $4 million dollars in total community impact—$1,582,213.70 of which have been directly disbursed to local agencies through Creature Comforts’ philanthropic campaign, Get Comfortable
- Invested in locality and local farms by:
- Partnering with and hosting the Athens Farmers Market
- Sourcing select ingredients from the University of Georgia’s UGArden
- Brewing a core brand—Athena—with Georgia-grown wheat
- Earned TRUE’s (Total Resource Use and Efficiency) Silver Level Certification for the company’s Southern Mill facility’s zero waste efforts
- Initiated a supplier screening process in support of diversifying their network of suppliers
- Launched an Employee Volunteer Program where employees accrued 1,785.5 hours of community service in 2022 alone
The 2022 Impact Report in its entirety can be found here.